The podcast edit for our 3/2/12 Revenge of the 80s Radio show is up and available at the bottom of this post. This week, Hugh Cornwell is our guest. The original Strangler is currently touring parts of the U.S. and Canada with original Sex Pistol Glen Matlock and will release a new album, Totem and Taboo, later this year. Our conversation leads off the second hour of the show.
During our interview, Cornwell and I discuss:
- The Heavyweights of Rock tour with Glen Matlock
- The beginnings of The Stranglers
- Hugh’s many solo projects
- His 2008 album, Hooverdam
- Plans for more live shows around the world this year and the coming Totem and Taboo album.
We also play classics by Captain Sensible, The Flirts, The Alarm, Mental As Anything, Stan Ridgway and more.
Two of punk rock’s early legends will begin a tour of North America on Friday, February 24th. Hugh Cornwell, original vocalist for The Stranglers and Glen Matlock, bassist for The Sex Pistols, will co-headline the concert series, which will run through March 17th.
Cornwell will be playing some of his acclaimed solo music and Stranglers classics; Matlock will perform tracks from his latest album, Born Running, and some new material. The lineup also includes Clem Burke (Blondie) and Steve Fishman, who will be playing with both Cornwell and Matlock.
The Western Hemisphere swing starts up in Tucson, Arizona at Club Congress and winds down in Los Angeles. The official tour dates are:
- Friday 24 Feb -* *Tucson, AZ Club Congress*
- Saturday 25 Feb -* *Phoenix, AZ Crescent Ballroom**
- Monday 27 Feb – Denver, CO 3 Kings Tavern