Our 10/16 show is up and available at the bottom of this post. This week on Revenge of the 80s, Hugh Cornwell is back with us. He has a new compilation album featuring two tracks from each of his first six solo albums: The Fall and Rise of Hugh Cornwell. We also play the new track featured on the album.
,We also play tracks from The Damned, Trans-X, The Boomtown Rats, The Alarm, Falco and many more classic alternative artists.
Revenge of the 80s Radio also broadcasts each week on our affiliate radio stations:
- Q93.5FM – WTBQ FM, Warwick, NY, US
- Rock 103 FM, Central Illinois
- Q107 FM, Peoria, Illinois
- Flashback Radio, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Central FM – 98.6 FM Gibraltar, Spain & 103.8 FM Calahonda, Spain
- Totally 80s – 88.4 FM, Beindorm, Spain
- Surf FM – 87.6 FM, Melbourne, AUS
- Radio 80s – 87.6 FM, Korumburra, AUS
- Seymour FM – 103.9 FM, Seymour, AUS
- Greater Home Radio – 96.7FM, Holbrook, New South Wales, AUS
- Indigo FM Radio Network – 88.0 FM Beechworth, AUS; 88.0 FM Yackandandah, AUS; 87.6 FM, Corowa, AUS; 87.6 FM Rutherglen, AUS
- Elwood FM – 89.1 FM, Melbourne, AUS
- Whaley Radio – 107.4FM, High Points, UK
- WMAC Radio – 107.3FM, Manchester, UK
- 80s & More – Internet Radio, U.K.
- Radio Vera – Limerick, Ireland
- TKO Replay – Internet Radio, U.K./Spain
Alt-rock heavy-hitter Hugh Cornwell today gave fans a preview of the artwork and track list for his forthcoming album, Totem and Taboo, which is due to be released on September 10th in the U.K. and later in the United States.
Cornwell previewed two songs from Totem and Taboo, the title track and “Stuck in Daily Mail Land,” on his Heavyweights of Rock tour (co-headlined with Glen Matlock) through the Western U.S. earlier this year. In a March interview on Revenge of the 80s Radio, the original Strangler said he would like to play dates on the east coast later in the year. He has already scheduled a UK tour for October. .
The album was recorded at Electrical Audio Studios, engineered and mixed by Steve Albini. It was funded by fans through a PledgeMusic campaign. Some of the proceeds will go to Missing People, a U.K. charity Cornwell says is special to him and greatly underfunded.
The official track listing for Totem and Taboo leads off with its title song. Of that, Cornwell says it was the last piece he wrote for the album and it has become of his favorites:
“A hint of ‘Rebel Rebel’ with some Marc Bolan glam thrown in. I’ve always liked songs with marching 4’s on the snare, and that’s what it is supposed to be, a rallying call for like-minded souls.”
Totem and Taboo track list:
1. Totem and Taboo
2. The Face
3. I Want One of Those
4. Stuck In Daily Mail Land
5. Bad Vibrations
6. God Is Woman
7. Love Me Slender
8. Gods, Guns and Gays
9. A Street Named Carroll
10. In the Dead of the Night
Future tour information for Hugh Cornwell can be found on his official website.
The podcast edit for this week’s Revenge of the 80s Radio is up and available at the bottom of this post. This week, we w play two selections from The Plimsouls’ recently-released live album, Beach Town Confidential, a recording of a 1983 concert at The Golden Bear. We also play classics by Midge Ure, The Stranglers, Icehouse, Wall of Voodoo, Strawberry Switchblade, The Stems, Josie Cotton and more.
Two of punk rock’s early legends will begin a tour of North America on Friday, February 24th. Hugh Cornwell, original vocalist for The Stranglers and Glen Matlock, bassist for The Sex Pistols, will co-headline the concert series, which will run through March 17th.
Cornwell will be playing some of his acclaimed solo music and Stranglers classics; Matlock will perform tracks from his latest album, Born Running, and some new material. The lineup also includes Clem Burke (Blondie) and Steve Fishman, who will be playing with both Cornwell and Matlock.
The Western Hemisphere swing starts up in Tucson, Arizona at Club Congress and winds down in Los Angeles. The official tour dates are:
- Friday 24 Feb -* *Tucson, AZ Club Congress*
- Saturday 25 Feb -* *Phoenix, AZ Crescent Ballroom**
- Monday 27 Feb – Denver, CO 3 Kings Tavern