The Podcast for Our 2/6/09 Show Featuring a Conversation With Tony Kinman is Up
Written by admin on February 7, 2009
The Podcast for our February 6th show, which features an interview with Tony Kinman (The Dils, Rank and File) is up and available at the bottom of this post. We talk about early San Francisco punk, its influences into the 80s, The Dils, Kinman’s music career and his latest project, Los Trendy. The discussion starts in the second hour of the show. We also played a double-shot of music from The Cramps during the first hour in honor of the passing of Lux Interior.
Kinman and his brother, Chip co-founded the legendary Dils in 1976 when the punk scene in San Francisco was in its infancy. They, along with Romeo Void, Andy Prieboy (from Eye Protection) and The Dead Kennedys were just a few of the great bands to come out of San Francisco’s punk era.
During our conversation, we talk about:
- The early days of punk in San Francisco
- The part politics played in the punk movement
- The fall of true punk: When the genre bore rules and hierarchies
- Other great bands of the era and the musicians it produced
- The Kinmans’ 80s projects (Rank and File, Blackbird
- Tony’s new band: Los Trendy
We also played classic alternative tracks in the first hour from artists including The Alarm, Strawberry Switchblade, Berlin and Dexy’s Midnight Runners.